HEALTHY NUTRITION HABITS FOR YOUNG ATHLETES
Nutrition is an important aspect of healthy living and is very important to perform at a high level. Everybody is different and there is a lot of confusing and bad information that we need to really evaluate. Here are just a few suggestions that I feel work no matter your preference of diet.
- Eat every 2-3 hours. Pick a variety of foods. It can be 3 meals and 2-3 snacks or 5 smaller meals. Bring and eat snacks at school.
- Make sure you eat breakfast every day and also be sure to fuel yourself prior to working out.
- Eat a rainbow every day. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, the more colors the better.
- Minimize processed foods. Processed foods are foods that are packaged. They typically contain more sugars, fewer nutrients, and many chemicals so they last in the package.
- Drink lots of water and fewer drinks with sugar. Most fruit drinks have an extremely low amount of fruit and a very high amount of sugar.